Friday, May 19, 2006

Quercus rubra

I just got my images back from Jerry Anthony Photography. He did a good job of capturing the movement and composition of my new project. The piece is made from African Sumac and is 9.5 X 3 inches in size. Actually, when it's tilted, it's 4 inches tall.




I'm very glad to be done with this project. I hope it finds a good home over the summer. Although I'd like to keep one of my carved turnings at some point in the future, I have to be practical, and try to sell it for a good price.










Here's another view of the topside.













And here's a view of the back. There's as much detail on the back as the front. Maybe that's not very practical, but I'm such a perfectionist that I couldn't do otherwise.














Here's a detail view of the carving. I've really honed my carving skills on this project. Each one of these carved turnings gets a bit better. I just wish that translated into getting faster as well. It seems as if I've really slowed down a lot as I spend the time to do the necessary detail work.




Previous posts in this series, beginning on January 3, 2006: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII, Part VIII, Part IX, Part X, Part XI, and Part XII.

3 comments:

Dennis Laidler said...

Andi, this piece is extremely beautiful. To be honest I much prefer it to the coloured pieces. Your idea of darkening the wood under a UV lamp was 'way cool'.

Keep up the good work - here's to the next project.

Dennis

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Andi!

Do you feel any pain or weakness in your hands from the vibrations from the power carvers?

e

Andi Wolfe said...

Dennis - thanks. The UV crosslinker worked very well. I'll try that technique again if I ever get my hands on another piece of this wood. It doesn't grow around here, that's for sure.

e - If I use the Foredom tool for more than an hour I do have problems from the vibration. The powercrafter and Foredom Micromotor tool don't bother my hands or arms at all. I do need all three of these tools to get the results I want. The powercrafter is great for detail work, but useless for hogging out big areas or doing major shaping. The micromotor tool is my preferred one for fine details, but it doesn't have the power to do any major shaping. So, I just have to take frequent breaks and stretch my hand and arm muscles.