Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"Watching for voices"

I'm reading a book by Lyanda Lynn Haupt called, Pilgrim on the great bird continent: the importance of everything and other lessons from Darwin's lost notebooks. It's about Charles Darwin's early observations as a naturalist voyaging on the Beagle. I've just finished chapter two, and I'm enjoying the book very much. The reason I'm mentioning it is because of a paragraph toward the end of chapter two that focuses my mind on the parallels between art and science. I've always argued that my science feeds my art and art plays a huge role in my life as a scientist. It's all about learning to "see." Here's the quote from the book (pp. 46 - 47):

"But it was unclear to Darwin at the start that the most original thing he would uncover was his own method, that his way of seeing and casting light on what he saw was the very thing that would allow his eventual scientific contributions. He didn't realize that he was in the thick of creating his life's most significant habit -- transforming the activities of daily life into scientific insights."

Learning to "see" and finding one's own "voice" as an artist also applies to science.

Here's a link to the book at Amazon.com: Pilgrim on the great bird continent: the importance of everything and other lessons from Darwin's lost notebooks

No comments: