Saturday, January 07, 2006

New project, part II

Here are some more pictures from my current project. I finished roughing out the top surface and am now working on the bottom side.


Here's what it looked like after the topside roughout.


Turn the piece over at this point, and the rough bowl form is still visible. I drew in my guidelines for the leaf layers on the back in pencil, and then redrew them using a sharpie.


This is an overall view of the first two backside leaves after roughout. You can also see the kutzall and stump cutter bits I use with the two different sized foredom handpieces.


A closer view of the project. It's really challenging to do the opposite side roughout because I have to conform to the contours I carved on the topside. I use my finger calipers and work through the thick areas until I have a thickness of about 1/4 inch throughout the leaf. Takes a lot of time, but if I do it right at this stage, the detail carving will go much better for me.

No comments: