Sunday, November 13, 2005

Coastline pics from North Queensland

Here are some of the pictures I took from the shore of the Coral Sea. I was really surprised by how calm the water is, but I guess that's the effect of the Great Barrier Reef taking the brunt of the big waves. It was like looking off shore of a large lake. The water was lovely and warm, but full of coral spawn when I saw it. I was able to wade in clear water in one of the bays, but I sure wouldn't have been willing to wade in the gunk that washes up on shore from the spawning.


This is one of the views of Airlie Beach, which is a resort town popular with youngsters.


One of the mangrove swamps near Bowen.


Coral spawn coming ashore near Bowen.


Dried coral spawn on the beach.


The sign gives a warning about "stingers," which are small jellyfish that are deadly.


This and the next picture are ones I took while wading. The water was great. I'll have to go back sometime to do some snorkeling.

No comments: