Thursday, November 03, 2005

Brisbane, Queensland Herbarium, and Art Museum


Terry took me up to a lookout to see the view of Brisbane. Brisbane is built along a river that winds down to the coast. The city is about the size of the Columbus, Ohio metropolitan area, but is laid out in a windy, twisty fashion that matches the contours of the river bed.


I was able to use the collection at the Queensland Herbarium this morning.


This collection doesn't have a lot of specimens of Euphrasia, but I was able to look at some species from this region and take some photos of their type collection.


Contemporary Aboriginal spirit poles at the art museum. For a change, I was permitted to take photos of the aboriginal art.


The contemporary Aboriginal art gallery showing a variety of objects based on traditional art forms.


One of the bark paintings on exhibit. Each of the tribes have traditional symbolism in their art. I don't know much about it, but I did buy a book that I hope will explain some of the nuances of the art.

No comments: