Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A visit to the Cindy Drozda and David Nittman shop


I spent last weekend at the Rocky Mountain Symposium in Loveland, Colorado. Cindy Drozda met me at the Denver airport and drove me up to Loveland via the scenic route. We made a short stop at the shop where she and David Nittmann work so that she could bring the cats in for their dinner. Shop cats are pretty cool and have it pretty well given how big this workspace is. There's a lot going on in here between the beautiful things Cindy and David make.





Here's my favorite piece of equipment, except this one looks like it sees more action than the Stubby lathe that I have in my basement shop. Boy, these are nice lathes.












Here's Cindy Drozda in between chores for taking care of the shop cats.















This isn't David Nittmann, but is a picture they have hanging on one wall of the shop. I think one can catch a glimpse of the personality of the shop through the artwork and artifacts on the walls. Must be a rockin' kind of place to work.












I got a kick out of the bandsaw autographs.

















Here's a close-up. I like the saying written next to David's chop mark (the spider):

"The best view of life is from right on the edge. Get too close -- you could fall or you could fly!"











Here are some of Cindy's production ikebana vases.


















She's been experimenting with colors on these items.
















I gather from this collection, that she's been playing with Artisan dyes. The colors are pretty vibrant.











I wonder when they have time to throw darts?











I always like seeing what kind of wood collections turners have in their shops. Cindy uses some really interesting burls in her beautiful lidded vessels. I felt as if I were seeing diamonds in the rough here.











The wood is nicely organized on shelves in one corner of the shop.
















Here's one of David's big platters in progress. This one looks to be nearly 3 feet in diameter.















Here's the fun part of the building - the studio where David does his beautiful designs.











Outside the building is a garden in progress. David and Cindy are using the local stone to good effect in some interesting sculptures that separate the car park from the garden space.












Here's a good example - that rebar sure looks like a snake crawling off a rock face.














David has also built a regulation horseshoe pit. Hmmm, darts and horseshoes. I gather that it's not all work and no play at the Drozda/Nittman workshop.
















And, pumpkin growing for the assorted nephews and nieces that stop by to visit the shop.
















I always appreciate a gardener who lets Mother Nature do her thing. This clump of sunflowers is a volunteer that found a happy home at the corner of the building. It's close to the front entrance and makes a nice welcome.

Thanks for the tour, Cindy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tour!

wish they were MY NEIGHBORS!!!!

now i have to go sulk with a bad case of shop-envy.

e

Andi Wolfe said...

If it makes you feel any better, my shop is about 10 X 20 feet in size.