Thursday, March 02, 2006

Scenes from the Desert Botanical Garden



Typical Sonoran Desert around Phoenix, AZ. I photographed this same hill about 15 years ago.



J. Paul and Judy Fennell at the Desert Botanical Garden. Note the cristate form of one of the Saguaro cactus arms.



I can't remember the name of the sculptor who was featured at the garden, but every sculpture looked just like this. One wonders if there's a lack of imagination or if the artist is in a groove of some sort.



Leaf of some legume tree.



A eucalyptus. When I was in Australia last fall everyone kept asking me if I was going to do a gum leaf motif. Probably not - I don't find them particularly interesting in shape or color compared to our eastern deciduous forest tree species.



Another legume tree leaf.



Boojum tree - a young'un.



One of the succulents from South Africa - probably an aloe of some sort.



Bet the wood is interesting beneath this bark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yoursucculent appears to be avaucaria or a crassula the first is most likely
Gorst
Ps I used to collect them in the late1940-1950's