Sunday, March 19, 2006

An owl in the ravine

We went for a walk in the Park of Roses in Clintonville this afternoon. It was a cool, but sunny day - a perfect day to take Emma for a walk. We went to Northwest Park in Upper Arlington first, and then drove over to the Park of Roses where Emma saw a lot of people, a couple of ducks, and too many dogs. She made the acquaintance of three tweeny dachshunds (too big for miniatures, but not full size) - all of them overweight and looking pretty bad compared to Emma. The last dog encountered was a Harlequin Great Dane (a drooling one) who proceeded to slime my pants, jacket and Emma, who took shelter in my arms. The Great Dane was very interested in Emma and would just not leave her alone, which is how I came to be slimed, too. The owner apologized, but somehow that just doesn't solve the issue at hand. YUCK! I'VE BEEN SLIMED BY A GREAT DANE!!!!!

The highlight of the walk was seeing a Barred Owl (Strix varia) in the ravine next to the rose gardens. I'll post four pictures here. I was amazed at how well camouflaged the owl was against the tree bark.


Can you see it?


The stripes on its belly really make it blend in with the bark.


It's easier to see with the sun shining on its side.


Another close-up. It was pretty interested in watching us watch it. I think it was considering whether Emma was food or not.

No comments: