Wednesday, October 12, 2005

How I spent my birthday (boy, am I boring . . .)


So, my birthday fell on our regularly scheduled club meeting for the Central Ohio Woodturners. I'm president of the club, so I spent my birthday up in front of these nice people. We had a good meeting and some humorous moments, so it wasn't too bad, I guess.

Central Ohio Woodturners is a chapter of the American Association of Woodturners. We have more than 200 members in the club, and we're close to running out of room where we meet each month. We had our first "president's challenge" of the year last night, which was "drinking vessels." There was a nice assortment of turnings on display ranging from a beautiful offcenter turning made of bloodwood (done by Jim Burrowes, who I awarded "grand prize"), to a 1/4 inch miniature encased in a matching box that was about 1/2 inch tall, to a coffee thermos to something that will probably give me nightmares for weeks to come. Next month's challenge will be "noise makers," but I'll be in Australia, so I won't have to listen to any of the entries.

No comments: