Friday, May 11, 2007

Bell's Vireo on OSU campus

A Bell's Vireo was reported on the OSU campus to the Ohio bird list server yesterday, so I stopped by the site on my way home. I did see it and actually was lucky enough to see a courtship behavior. I didn't have my camera with me yesterday, so I stopped at the site on my way into work this morning. Here are a few of the pics I took with my 300 mm zoom lens. The bird was high up in the tree, so these aren't the greatest images, but the best I can do without an image stabilization lens with more magnification.






We're a bit outside the usual range for this species, so it's exciting to see one here in our neighborhood.









There was a pair nesting at this site last year and the courtship behavior I saw yesterday suggests that there will be a nest here again this year.
















This fellow was singing his heart out this morning.










What a treat to see!

No comments: