Friday, August 05, 2011

A Dodge Ford - a new American auto

Cave Junction, Oregon. There's an interesting wood burl lot that has an assortment of fun sculptures that qualify as yard art. Out on Highway 199 there sits an old jalopy with a sign to advertise the store. I'm always interested in seeing jalopies and taking some photos of them. Imagine my surprise, then, when I did my standard "front grill" shot and found that this particular jalopy is a hybrid between two American manufacturers. I should have spent some time inspecting the rest of the rig to see if "Chevrolet" was also part of this display.

My dad collected old Studebaker pick-up trucks and I well remember those Sunday drives dedicated to prospecting for junkers to salvage. He used to tow the jalopies home and cannibalize them for parts to restore other Studebakers. Our back yard often resembled a junk yard, but it sure made for some great hiding places for hide-and-go-seek games with the neighborhood kids.

2 comments:

Annie said...

This one really made me smile. I lived with an old car lover, his dad was one too. They are an interesting lot. I especially love the way the two words, Dodge and Ford, don't line up. Nice patina too. Good find.

Andi Wolfe said...

Thanks, Annie. I think this can only really be appreciated by those of us who lived with those car lovers of the world. I know the junk yard part of it drove my mom nuts most of the time.