Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Latest project


Woodturner, originally uploaded by Stephen A. Wolfe.

I've been invited to participate in "Emerging Patterns: an international invitational," which runs May 28 - Sep 01, 2011. John Hill called me last week to invite me. He said they wanted a "medium" size piece - about the size of a basketball. For me that's gigantic, but I have had an idea percolating for a few months now that will be good for this exhibit. So, I started it this week - putting the log section on the lathe, roughing it to shape with an arbortech, turning it true - all this on day 1. Day 2 ws for shaping the outside and doing the layout grid plus most of the hollowing. Today was Day 3 - finishing the hollowing and turning off the foot. The rough size is 10.5 X 7.5 inches, roughly 2 to 3 times the size of my usual work.

Steve has been documenting my progress and I'll post some more pics as I go, but here's one of me finishing the hollowing.

Here's a link to my facebook page album with the rest of the pics: Emerging Patterns Project

No comments: