Tuesday, September 21, 2010

South Africa video blog - 2, part 1

20 September 21010 - part 1: First day in the field for this South Africa field season. Louis Liebenberg found a population of Hyobanche that I will be describing in my monograph on Hyobanche. He sent the image to a researcher at Kirstenbosch who referred him to me. Louis was kind to take time out of his day to guide me to the population. We had a very interesting conversation about a book he is writing, and the site was absolutely beautiful. The lagoon near the dunes where this Hyobanche occurs had avocets, stilts and flamingos - stunning scenery! The Hyobanche is also quite beautiful.

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to go to the field today. The weather turned very blustery overnight and the wind was really strong plus it was raining very hard at Kirstenbosch when I awoke. I called Louis to find out what the weather was like on his side of the peninsula and he assured me that it was much better. So, it was a go and I'm really glad I went to this site.

No comments: