Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow rollers

Snow rollers by andiwolfe
Snow rollers, a photo by andiwolfe on Flickr.
How many of you have had a chance to see such an interesting winter phenomenon? We've had some very unusual weather this week. Subzero temps, snow, and high winds = perfect conditions for nature's snowballs to form. Chunks of snow dislodge and start moving across the surface of the snow. This only happens if the ground is already covered with ice, there's a wet snow, and high winds.

This scene is down the street from where we live - at a park that is exposed to the wind. I took the photo right before sunset, and, I assure you, it was very cold. The temp was around 0°F with a windchill of -10°F.  I had on my winter layers, so only my fingers got cold, but winter photography can be a bit of a challenge.

No comments: