Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rhododendron

Rhododendron by andiwolfe
Rhododendron, a photo by andiwolfe on Flickr.

Last Sunday morning I did a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina before heading to the airport. The rhododendrons, azaleas and mountain laurel were in full bloom. I never found a spot to pull off to photograph the mountain laurel, but I did find some areas where I could spend some time with the rhododendrons and azaleas. They are so beautiful in their native habitat.

I well remember my feelings about seeing the rhododendrons in bloom in the Himalayas in May 2009. Spotting them last weekend in the mountains of North Carolina brought a smile to my face with the memories of that fantastic trek with Jon Miller and Chris Marquardt as part of the Rest of Everest podcast.

No comments: