Monday, May 16, 2011

Leave my nest alone!


Leave my nest alone!, originally uploaded by andiwolfe.

Another pic from our birding trip from a week ago. We were on our way to Magee Marsh, but saw some birders standing next to a field. They had spotted American Pipits and Horned Larks from atop a berm next to the field.

As we started up the berm, one of our friends nearly stepped on this killdeer's nest. She immediately went into her "I've a broken wing and will make an easy meal - follow me!" routine. After a few minutes of us just standing still watching her, she returned to the nest and scolded us for a bit. She finally did settle back down onto the eggs as we were leaving.

2 comments:

Kipkimo said...

Hi Andi,

I looked at your page "Andi's Family Photo Album" at
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~awolfe/Lab/andi.family.html
and saw that it was last updated on January 25, 2001 (!!) which is over 10 years ago (!!)
Kids must be a bit bigger by now, I guess, and your current dog(s) is/are different as far as I remember.

I always enjoy your photos and take you as an inspiring example for the many things you manage to do simultaneously - work and private combined.

Michael, Tokyo

Anniespickns said...

We have a Killdeer on a nest, at a Wildlife Area where I work, that we have been watching for around three weeks now. Hoping that the eggs will hatch soon and we might get a look at the littleones. I think the chicks look like walking walnuts with their round bodies and long legs. Great picture.