Sunday, August 15, 2010

The voice of a tree - part 1


Woodturning I, originally uploaded by SWolfeNI8W.

Vicki Jordan sent me a piece of wood from a maple tree that had been in her family for generations. Today I was finally able to find the time to start working with it. I have in mind to do a leaf carving from a bowl form with a rolled back rim.

I attached the blank to a face plate and worked on the back side first. The rolled over rim had to be hollowed out. I then made a tenon for the four-jaw chuck and then mounted it in the chuck to turn the bowl and refine the rim on the front side.



Woodturning II

Turning the bowl part on a form such as this is a bit tricky. I don't have any calipers that work on such an awkward form.

Woodturning III

What I ended up doing was to drill a depth hole from the back side. When I reached the hole, my wall thickness should have been about an inch.

Woodturning IV

After finishing the bowl, I went back and refined the shape of the rolled-over rim.

The form will need to dry for a couple of months before I start carving. I'm looking forward to the next stage of the project.

5 comments:

Steve Kubien said...

Love the B&W pics! My submission to Vicki's tree project is drying now. It ought to get finished this week. I'll be sure to write it up!

Andi Wolfe said...

Thanks! Pics are by Steve Wolfe. He always does a great job of capturing my work in progress.

Looking forward to seeing your project from Vicki's tree, too.

Melissa said...

What great shots Andi! How do you setup your camera to capture these shots? I'd love to try it.

Andi Wolfe said...

Melissa - first you ask your hubby to fetch his camera and hang out with you while you work.

You can click on any of the pics and take a look at the EXIF data to see the specifics on aperture, shutter speed, etc. Processing was done with Silver Efex Pro.

Melissa said...

Of course! The husband! Yes, I actually have one of those and he's always sticking his head in the shop to see what is going on.

It usually results in him dropping a piece I'm working on and then me throwing a sharp pointy thing at him. ;-)