Sunday, June 29, 2008

2008 AAW Symposium - Part I; Jacques' and Bonnie's Top

The 2008 AAW symposium was in Richmond, Virginia from June 19 - 22. I have a lot of pictures to post from this meeting, but it will take me a week or more to finish processing all my images. I'll break this up into several postings, so please stay tuned over the next couple of weeks. I'll try to add something each day, but I'll be heading to Arrowmont later this week, so it may be awhile before I get everything posted.

I arrived Thursday afternoon. I checked into the Marriott and then went across the street to pick up my registration packet and to take my turnings to the instant gallery. It's always great to run into friends on Thursday evening. Jacques Vesery and Paul Fennell were in the gallery when I arrived, and, for the second year in a row, I was able to get a preview tour of The Top - i.e., the collaboration for the Saturday night auction. Jacques and Bonnie have done several of these tops over the past few years, and each new one seems to outdo the previous year's offering.




I love the way Jacques sets up a display to show off the collaboration. This year he had an LED flashlight to illuminate the top. The palette used for painting was displayed along with the top.









The theme for this year's top was the historic landmarks in Richmond. Jacques pointed out each motif on the stand and the exterior decoration on the top box.









Paul seems to be enjoying the story telling that is going on along with the description of the collaboration.









Jacques told us that some of the wood was from historic landmarks, including George Washington's home at Mount Vernon.









It's always amazing to see all the details in these collaborations.

















The top has facades of some of the historic buildings of Richmond carved and painted onto the exterior.
















One can see this statue in downtown Richmond. This is actually a box with a threaded lid - one of Bonnie's specialties.








The interior has a map showing our current location in Richmond, and a view of the night sky.










The one thing Jacques didn't do was to spin the top, so I can't vouch that it's actually a spin top.










The title of the project is "National Treasures." Jacques is pointing to the map location of Richmond, Virginia. "You are here."









More story telling.













The palette.
















Congratulations to Bonnie and Jacques for another great collaboration. The winning bid on this piece was $11,500.

1 comment:

Dennis Laidler said...

Bonnie and Jacques 'colabs' are always a treat