Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Washington DC - part II

My visit to the Capital Area Woodturners was Thursday through Saturday of last week and we had a good time together. I taught two one-day hands-on classes and then did an all day demo on Saturday.





This is the Thursday class group hard at work doing their pyrography projects. L to R: Dean, Patrick, Dawn, Ed, and Mark. They were a quiet, but intense group.









This is the painting and coloring table set-up. After their sampler boards were finished and the project designs burned in, it was time to work on transparent coloring techniques (Prismacolor based) and then acrylic painting techniques. This bunch caught on pretty well and their projects were all very nice when finished.








Here's Ed working on the pyrography for his desert scene.











This is the Friday class group. They were not a quiet bunch, but we sure had a good time and they all did very well in the class, also.










I stayed with Mark and Jennifer Wollschlager and their friendly and well-behaved Australian Shepherd named Tucker. We took an excursion to Great Falls on the Potomoc River on Friday evening.











It had been more than 20 years since I last visited the park and it was really a treat to see such a beautiful place - especially as the sun was setting. This is a view of the falls.









Here's the downstream view. The pink clouds were reflected off the water and it was very pretty.













Jennifer and Mark with Tucker.











The meeting started at 9 am with a very short show-and-tell segment and business meeting. I was able to get my demo going by about 9:20 or so.









Here are some of the contributions to the show-and-tell table.













Some more of the same. There were some very nice turnings in the gallery.












Some of my students also brought their class projects and exercises to the table.


























My demo on Saturday started with a turning demo and I was lucky enough to be able to use a Stubby Lathe. I have one of these in my own shop and it's a real treat to be able to use one for demonstrating.










Here's half the audience present for my demo. I really enjoyed visiting the Capital Area Woodturners - they're a lot of fun!

No comments: