Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Kokerboom silhouette

Kokerboom silhouette by andiwolfe
Kokerboom silhouette, a photo by andiwolfe on Flickr.

Kokerboomkloof; Richtersveld National Park.

This was the photo I had planned for 24 hours - since I had seen this potential the previous sunset. So, just as the western mountain shadow was creeping over the area, the one person we encountered within 100+ square kilometers, who was staying at our campground, decides to walk the road, and stand there in my scene. Dennis (one of my field companions) and I tried to get his attention, but he didn't hear us, or ignored us - not quite sure which it was.

This was a one-shot opportunity. I had scouted the area pretty thoroughly to find some kokerbooms where this scene would work. Frustrated? You betcha! Fortunately, I was able to make the photo as the guy walked behind one of the shrubs, but then he walked into the scene.

Later that evening, Dennis went to the guy's campsite to apologize for us yelling at him. Turns out the guy didn't hear us at all. Dennis did have to contain himself when he spotted a photography book on the guy's camp table. The title? "Digital Landscape Photography for Dummies."

No comments: