Monday, July 29, 2013

A visit with Gorst Duplessis: prelude


I'm in New Orleans this week for the Botany 2013 meeting. Yesterday afternoon I had a couple of hours available to visit Gorst Duplessis.  He has a beautiful home on the edge of the French Quarter, which took a lot of damage during hurricane Katrina. 

No, the hurricane did not rearrange Gorst's shop - it's a very active and busy place, as you can tell by the shavings....  I'll post a photo essay in a few days. For now, I will be a scientist and pay attention to all the interesting research that will be presented over the next few days.

2 comments:

Marty Tacove said...

Hi Andi,

This is Marty Talcove of Tropical Exotic Hardwoods in Carlsbad, California. Not sure if you know but Gorst passed away earlier this month. He was one of our oldest customers. We are trying to post some images of him and his work and would love to post this great image you took with your permission. If possible, please email me at tropicalexotichardwoods@yahoo.com. I will make sure to link you blog wherever the picture is posted. Thanks.
-Marty

Andi Wolfe said...

Hi Marty,

Yes, I'm very sad about this. Yes, you have permission to post this image as long as a photo credit and link to this post are included.

Thanks - Andi