Thursday, July 12, 2012

Room with a view

Room with a view by andiwolfe (I'm back!)
Room with a view, a photo by andiwolfe (I'm back!) on Flickr.

It's been awhile since I posted anything to the blog. The primary reason is that we were hammered with a huge storm June 29, 2012, which left my home without electricity until July 7, 2012. That wasn't a whole lot of fun, especially with temperatures in the high 90's and low 100's for the duration. However, it gave us an opportunity to clean out the refrigerator and freezer and camp on the living room floor with all the windows open. Upstairs was not an option with those kinds of temps.

An hour after our electricity came on I was checked into the conference hotel for the Botany 2012 meeting, which ran from Saturday to today (Thursday). My room was on the 20th floor of the Regency Hyatt, which gave a lovely view of downtown Columbus, Ohio.

Botany 2012 was a great conference. I learned a lot and had some great interactions with colleagues. The talks were informative and I enjoyed the workshop on next generation sequencing that I took on Sunday. The downside is that now I'm another week behind, but I have lots of good collaborations percolating that will keep me motivated for the rest of the summer.

No comments: