Friday, March 09, 2012

Knitting - it's an addiction

I've been knitting most of my life, but had put it aside for about 15 years. My daughter recently learned to knit and so I dug out all the old stuff - vintage (at least now they are, since they are from my childhood) knitting needles, old stashes of yarn, and patterns - mostly baby stuff.  Long story short, Meghan's new hobby inspired me to start knitting again. I made dish cloths, wash cloths, slippers and winter hats over the past couple of months, but then decided to learn how to knit socks. The local yarn store offered a class on Thursday nights for the past three weeks, and I was able to finish my first pair last night.

Ta-dah! - Self-striping yarn, which just happened to match perfectly on both socks. I bought 200g of this yarn, thinking I would get a pair of regular size socks and have enough left over for some sport socks. However, I weighed the left overs today and I have more than enough for another full-sized pair, so I will work another pair in this pattern soon.

This isn't as expensive an endeavor as wood turning or carving, but yarn prices have certainly gone up since I last purchased it. I guess that really relates to the quality of the yarn. These socks are superwash wool (a blend of wool and nylon). I could spend a fortune on nice yarn.....

The advantage of hand-knit socks is that I can make them to fit my misshapen feet. I have horrible bunions, which means that socks usually bunch up in the wrong spots and cause blisters on long hikes. I'll be working on some sturdy hiking socks this year...


No comments: