Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Last day of North American birding for three weeks time



This morning we read a report on the Ohio bird list that there were 8 - 10 black crowned night herons roosting in trees along the Olentangy River across from Drake Union at OSU. Steve and I went to take a look and saw them. I counted nine, but I couldn't really get a good photo. I went back this afternoon and saw 12! along the river across from the union. I was able to get a bit closer and snapped a photo of this one from across the river. Wow! They were gorgeous birds. I'd not seen one before and to see 12 was pretty amazing.











Later in the day Steve and I took Emma for a walk around the OSU wetlands. The Redwinged Blackbirds are back and staking out their territories.















This one has a good set of lungs! Spring is truly here with the sound of the blackbirds singing.















I also saw this critter along the Olentangy. It's either a nutria or a muskrat. I'll have to look it up sometime.






Anyway, I'm all packed and ready to go. I'll update the blog as I have time and access to highspeed internet connections. Please send good thoughts my way for safe travels.

No comments: