Friday, June 02, 2006

Exine series



Ok, so here is the finished project. Ambrosia Maple; 4.25 X 3 inches.

Dennis guessed correctly from my photo title in the preview post. This is an exploration of microscopic motifs. In this case it is the pollen grain wall at very high magnification, which is where the name "exine" comes from.






I've always been attracted to SEM images of seeds and pollen as it relates to species identity and phylogenetic relationships. When you look at pollen grains at high magnification you see all sorts of architectural structures - columns and rails and a virtual honeycomb of a skeleton.I didn't realize how much work this would be in the carving!

2 comments:

Dennis Laidler said...

Very nice Andi. Pollen grains have very attractive surface textures. I'm really impressed by the 3D labrynthine quality of the 'wall' of this 'bowl'. This could develop into a very interesting series.

Andi Wolfe said...

Thanks, Dennis. I have a lot of ideas I want to explore if I can manage to find the time.